Tuesday 19 January 2016

Oadby & Wigston Junior Sportsman Award 2015


Oadby & Wigston Junior Sportsman Award 2015

Wow, it’s been a busy few months, what with taking some GSCE exams and lots of assessments before Christmas, there’s hardly been time to catch my breath.

I had a brilliant rest over Christmas and spent as much time relaxing on my new Xbox One (usually after an early morning swim session!)

With a repetitive injury in my shoulder, I’ve been struggling with my competitiveness and fitness lately. I’ve started having sports massages and plan to visit a physio therapist soon, so it’s good timing for us to be in our short course technical cycle at training. I’ve really been focusing on my technique and hope to have improved enough to start seeing seem times drop!

Before Christmas, I was nominated (by my school) and shortlisted for a Junior Sportsman Award. We (my family) went to the evening and saw some real talent and dedication to various sports, so I was extremely pleased and honoured to win on the night.

Me with Lucy Hatton
 My award was presented to me by Team GB athlete Lucy Hatton (60m hurdles ranked 3rd British all-time). Whilst receiving the award, there were plenty of questions asked about a "day in the life of" a swimmer. Sharp intakes of breath from the audience when I mentioned about the 4.20am alarm calls and the amount of meterage/training etc. We also spoke about my main achievement of 2015, taking the Bronze at the Midlands Open Water Championships 3,000m

Talking in Public...there's a first!
  I was really nervous on the night but so pleased to have been a part of it all.

Smile please :)
  My next swimming focus is the County Championships which’ll be ran over the next 3 weekends at Loughbrough University and Braunstone leisure centre.

I’ll be swimming the following:
 
50, 100, 200, 400 & 1500 Freestyle

50, 100, 200 Backstroke
50 Breaststroke
200 Individual Medley 

Lets see how I do this year?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment